Rice rebuttal (February 26, 2017)
With respect to the current Apple Valley water wars, I don’t have a dog in that fight. I live in Claremont.
However I can’t let some of the comments in a recent issue of the paper attributed to Apple Valley town attorney Thomas Rice to go unanswered.
Mr. Rice’s attempt to
rebut Claremont resident Jim Belna’s comments at a Thursday meeting of a local citizens’ group is pathetic in its fecklessness.
Mr. Rice starts out with three ad hominem volleys; he states conclusions as facts; he imputes bad motives to Mr. Belna; without any factual basis, he tries to associate Mr. Belna to Apple Valley’s local water company; he asserts that he is in possession of better facts, which unfortunately he can’t share with the mere public; he then states the obvious: that Apple Valley is not Claremont, that San Bernardino Superior Court is not L.A., and that there will be a different judge.
I became acquainted with Mr. Belna only recently in the Claremont water fiasco. I have always found him to be thoughtful, careful, measured, informed, and well-prepared. He is not a bomb-thrower. He laid out for the Claremont City Council exactly the process and the probable outcomes more than three years ago. He identified weaknesses in the City’s arguments for them. And as the events transpired, he was proven correct at every turn. I did not attend the meeting at Victor Valley College where he spoke to your residents, but I am rather certain he did not express any opinion on whether the town should take the water company or not take it. But he would have provided a structure of issues that must prudently be considered.
The town and citizens of Apple Valley would do well to give his message serious consideration. It is deserving of better than the gassy blast from the town attorney, Mr. Rice.
Mr. Rice should instead do his utmost transparently to address some of the issues that Mr. Belna raised rather than shooting the messenger.
It may well be correct that Apple Valley is different from Claremont, but from what I’ve seen, in my brief contact, the way both municipalities operate with Best Best and Krieger behind the curtain, there are certainly many similarities.
Ludd A. Trozpek, Claremont
Source: Daily Press
Files related to Claremont
- 20150308 Acquiring AVRWC is right move for Apple Valley
- 20150314 Expense of possible AVRWC acquisition difficult to gauge
- 20150514 Claremont Water System — Supplement to 2012 Appraisal Report
- 20150905 Letter: Lawyers, water, and money (O’Neil)
- 20150918 TOAV fires back at Coupal
- 20150923 Editorial: Water, takeovers, and the people
- 20151015 Cities and private equity firms fight over ownership of water systems
- 20160712 Public records request (Manning)
- 20160721 Conflict of interest (Manning)
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20161012 Claremont Set To Raise Rates For Utilities
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161110 Statement of tentative decision (Claremont v. Golden State Water)
- 20161110 Judge issues tentative decision against city in water system acquisition trial (Claremont v. Golden State Water)
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161116 Another false narrative
- 20161116 Liberty sees Claremont’s eminent-domain loss as sign of things to come in Apple Valley
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)
- 20161215 Another costly day for Apple Valley
- 20161218 Time to pay attention: An open letter to Larry Cusack
- 20170111 Claremont city manager getting a $21,000 bonus
- 20170114 Price tag for Claremont’s failed attempt to take over water system keeps rising
- 20170115 Our View: Time for foes to sit down and talk
- Time for the Town Council to listen for a change
- Response to Thomas Lecoq (Carloni)
- Time for a second opinion? (Carloni)
- 20170209 Avoiding the Claremont disaster (video)
- 20170213 Valley Voices: Apple Valley would be wise to work with Liberty Utilities (Wright)
- 20170216 James Belna on the Claremont eminent domain disaster (video)
- 20170220 Claremont resident talks [about] avoiding ‘disaster’ in Apple Valley
- 20170220 Conflict of interest
- 20170220 Letter: Response to Thomas Rice (Belna)
- 20170226 Letter: James Belna’s visit (Hanson)
- 20170226 Letter: Rice rebuttal (Trozpek)
- Claremont public records request
- Truth not tricks (Carloni)
- Comments to the Town Council opposing the ballot measure
- 20170314 Town Council meeting (McCarthy)
- 20170322 Skewing the facts (Hanson)
- 20170323 Letter: Sit down and settle (Henard)
- 20170406 Guest commentary: Government takeovers of water systems don’t deliver results — study
- Who pays?
- Responding to claims made on Facebook
- 20170508 Liberty Utilities radio ad — Claremont (audio)
- Not paying attention
- 20171010 Claremont reaches $4.8 million settlement agreement with Golden State Water
- 20171017 Claremont settlement reignites Apple Valley water war
- 20171026 Claremont cuts ties with its city attorney, law firm