Apple Valley official believes Liberty could have followed him before crash (August 9, 2017)
APPLE VALLEY — While fielding questions concerning a July 20 crash — currently under investigation — that involved his vehicle, Assistant Town Manager Marc Puckett asked for the name of the person who alleged being hit by his 2011 black Cadillac CTS.
Although Lola Espinoza later agreed to the use of her name, she initially spoke to the Daily Press under the condition of anonymity, so her name was not revealed during the July 27 phone call.
Puckett, as a result, became agitated.
“Here’s what bothers me about that,” he said. “What, was I being followed by some Ranchos person?”
When asked whether he believed someone from Liberty Utilities — the water provider that bought Apple Valley Rancho and is currently locked in eminent domain litigation with the town — would follow him, Puckett replied, “Yes I do.” He then turned the conversation back to the crash the California Highway Patrol is currently investigating as a felony hit and run.
The “Ranchos” comments were not included in the initial Daily Press report on the crash because responses had not yet been requested from either the town or Liberty; however, spokespersons for both entities were informed of the comments prior to publication.
On Monday, in response to an inquiry that requested several responses — including one to Puckett’s comments and another as to the possibility of disciplinary action — Mayor Scott Nassif and interim Town Manager Lori Lamson issued brief statements.
“We understand the CHP is investigating the matter,” Nassif said. “This is a serious incident that the town will monitor closely.”
“This unfortunate incident happened after work hours,” Lamson said. “The town doesn’t comment on the personal matters of our employees. Any personnel issues between the employee and the town must remain confidential.”
Neither official addressed the “Ranchos” comments or the potential for disciplinary action.
Meanwhile, Greg Sorensen, president of Liberty’s western region, said the comments had no merit.
“Mr. Puckett’s statement is false and disrespectful to (our) employees who serve the community with pride and professionalism,” Sorensen said. “We appreciate the work of the (CHP) to fully investigate this matter and trust they will determine what occurred and take the appropriate action.”
On July 20, Puckett’s Cadillac was involved in a two-car crash on southbound Interstate 15, about 600 feet after Foothill Boulevard, according to a CHP report. Espinoza said her 2011 gray Toyota Prius was hit from behind at approximately 11:30 p.m. Two photographs she provided show back-end damage to the Prius.
Espinoza was taken to Kaiser Permanente in Ontario following the crash. On Monday she said her car was totaled, and added that she has back pain that doesn’t allow her to sit for extended periods.
The Cadillac had moderate front-end damage, according to the report that lists Puckett as the vehicle’s owner but not the driver. Puckett previously told the Daily Press he “was in an accident,” but denied that a second vehicle was involved.
On July 21, he retrieved personal belongings from his Cadillac, which was towed after the crash, and contacted CHP officials.
“They said if there’s no one else involved I didn’t have to report it, but I got a police report in the mail,” Puckett said. “The only reason I left my car was because my cellphone was dead.”
Puckett gave a statement to Rancho Cucamonga CHP officials on July 28 that he said mirrored what he told the Daily Press. He has since declined all additional requests for comment.
Regarding the investigation, Rancho Cucamonga CHP Officer Jesus Garcia previously said the driver has not been identified.
Rancho Cucamonga CHP officials declined a California Public Records Act request that sought a more detailed report on the crash, citing the ongoing investigation.
Source: Matthew Cabe, Daily Press
Files dealing with Marc Puckett
- 19920114 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920225 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920303 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920305 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920319 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920623 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19960111 Retirement firm accuses official of favoritism
- 19960403 Folks soaked by water bills may get relief
- 19960920 Marc Puckett’s red light ticket
- 19990130 $9-million pension fund transfer raises questions
- 19990202 Retirement panel urges ‘immediate’ audit of plan
- 19990203 Retirement board splits over need for independent manager
- 19990203 Finance director resigns under fire of pension flap
- 19990210 Former finance director lashes back at critics, hints suit
- 19990224 Flint to boost pension fund
- 19990319 Flint sent tax funds to wrong units
- 19990326 Ex-finance director cashes in on $6,000 in unused vacation time
- 19990330 Flint could owe state millions some industrial facilities taxes have not been paid since 1996
- 19990408 Stanley acts on money woes, appoints new finance chief
- 19990411 Stanley must share blame as part of his plan to fix city’s financial woes
- 19990909 Audit details shortfalls in financial procedures
- 20100219 Personal injury complaint against Marc Puckett
- 20100408 Answer of defendant, Marc R. Puckett, to plaintiffs’ complaint
- 20101227 New finance director to step down
- 20101228 Marc Puckett out — Again
- 20101230 Leadership turmoil
- 20110104 The world according to John Moorlach
- 20110110 City faces $231,000 deficit
- 20110113 Interim finance director named
- 20110210 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 201102405 Marc Puckett’s ticket for stopping on a red signal
- 20110817 Marc Puckett’s ticket for no license plate
- 20120309 Marc Puckett’s Orange County accident case information
- 20120425 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20120703 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20140724 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20141124 Marc Puckett’s ticket for coasting out of gear
- 20141205 Marc Puckett’s ticket for speeding
- 20150529 Marc Puckett’s ticket for improper use of preferred lane
- Comments for tonight’s council meeting
- The innumerate Mr. Puckett
- Shill crazy after all these years
- Earth to Puckett!
- About those awards
- One PRR story: American Express (CC)
- 20160913 Documents link top Apple Valley official to #FlintWaterCrisis
- 20160913 Investigation: Flint / Apple Valley Connection
- 20160915 Economic Speech (Trump)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20170319 Trump EPA grants Michigan $100 million to fix Flint water system
- 20170320 Sinkhole: Effort to replace pipes to Flint homes off to slow start
- 20170806 Vehicle belonging to AV town manager involved in hit-and-run
- He’s gonna need a good lawyer
- 20170809 Apple Valley official believes Liberty could have followed him before crash
- Public trust destroyed (Carloni)
- 20170907 Hit-and-run investigation involving Marc Puckett’s Cadillac sent to DA
- 20171010 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- A question of character
- 20171206 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett charged with felony hit-and-run
- 20171206 A long wait for crash victim
- 20171117 A history of infractions
- 20171207 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett on personal leave after felony hit-and-run charge filed
- 20171214 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett pleads not guilty to felony hit-and-run charge
- 20171214 I-15 crash victim seeks $2M in damages from Apple Valley
- 20171219 Editorial: Passing the Puck (Valles)
- 20171228 Town Hall position not a factor in Puckett’s custody status, attorney says
- 20180105 Puckett forced out as Apple Valley’s Assistant Manager & Finance Director
- 20180109 Tin Cup Men (Valles)
- 20180116 Puckett’s dismissal just what the town needed (Valles)
- 20180307 Puckett deposition set for mid-April in town’s eminent domain case
- 20180425 Pre-plea report ordered in Puckett’s felony case