Flint sent tax funds to wrong units (March 19, 1999)
By Ron Fonger, JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Auditors and Flint officials believe the city misdirected some property tax payments for several years, potentially making more than $1 million in incorrect payments to entities including the Flint School District.
A study of the distribution problem by city officials and the auditing firm Dupuis & Ryden, while incomplete, has the potential to affect the finances of the city, the Flint School District, Bishop Airport and other agencies that collect a millage from city residents.
Top aides to Mayor Woodrow Stanley confirmed Thursday that the problem dates back at least to the 1996 tax roll. They said they have been working with state officials to resolve it.
Peggy Jury, a representative of Dupuis & Ryden, said a final calculation to determine which entities are due money and which have been overpaid has not been completed.
She said the problem could amount to more than $1 million.
Stanley aides would not speculate about how much money may have been distributed incorrectly. But both City Administrator David H. Ready and Budget Director Matthew Grady said the tax dollars will have to be redistributed.
Some entities may owe and some may get, Ready said.
The problem involves money collected in areas that were exempt or partly exempt from paying certain millages.
The amounts collected were correct, Jury said, but the disbursement of those taxes is at issue.
The confusion about distribution formulas was compounded, she said, by the settlement of a tax appeal by General Motors, by Proposal A and by the retirement of a longtime city assessor, she said.
Resolving the problem could lead to a roundtable meeting with entities that receive property tax payments — a meeting to
come up with a fair and equitable plan to redistribute the property taxes, Grady said.
As of Thursday, the city had notified just one of the entities that they may be due a windfall or may have received too much of the tax pie.
Grady said the city wants to have a final balance sheet to present to those affected before making those contacts.
The property tax distribution problem is the second financial bombshell to hit city hall in a matter of days. Both raise new questions about the city’s ability to distribute money.
Last week, Stanley was forced to order the transfer of nearly $1 million from city coffers to the to the Flint pension system because of a failure to transfer employee and employer contributions.
The $1 million represented uncollected interest — unrecoverable money — that the pension system lost because of the city’s failure to make proper transfers.
Former city Finance Director Marc Puckett resigned abruptly after the failure to transfer became public and on Thursday, Ready said Stanley has ordered
a comprehensive review of practices in … Marc’s department.
The city’s Finance Department, which Grady is heading on an interim basis, was responsible for the property tax distribution, Ready said.
When Stanley picked Puckett to lead the department in 1992, he chose him from some 100 applicants, saying he was
impressed with Marc’s grasp of the finance discipline …
City Council President Scott Kincaid declined to comment on the tax distribution, saying the details have yet to be fully uncovered.
I just know there’s a problem, Kincaid said.
The auditing firm is determining how big the problem is.
Ron Fonger covers Flint city government and Bishop Airport. He can be reached at (810) 766-6317.
Copyright Flint Journal / MLive Media Group (mlive.com). Used with permission.
Files dealing with Marc Puckett
- 19920114 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920225 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920303 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920305 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920319 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920623 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19960111 Retirement firm accuses official of favoritism
- 19960403 Folks soaked by water bills may get relief
- 19960920 Marc Puckett’s red light ticket
- 19990130 $9-million pension fund transfer raises questions
- 19990202 Retirement panel urges ‘immediate’ audit of plan
- 19990203 Retirement board splits over need for independent manager
- 19990203 Finance director resigns under fire of pension flap
- 19990210 Former finance director lashes back at critics, hints suit
- 19990224 Flint to boost pension fund
- 19990319 Flint sent tax funds to wrong units
- 19990326 Ex-finance director cashes in on $6,000 in unused vacation time
- 19990330 Flint could owe state millions some industrial facilities taxes have not been paid since 1996
- 19990408 Stanley acts on money woes, appoints new finance chief
- 19990411 Stanley must share blame as part of his plan to fix city’s financial woes
- 19990909 Audit details shortfalls in financial procedures
- 20100219 Personal injury complaint against Marc Puckett
- 20100408 Answer of defendant, Marc R. Puckett, to plaintiffs’ complaint
- 20101227 New finance director to step down
- 20101228 Marc Puckett out — Again
- 20101230 Leadership turmoil
- 20110104 The world according to John Moorlach
- 20110110 City faces $231,000 deficit
- 20110113 Interim finance director named
- 20110210 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 201102405 Marc Puckett’s ticket for stopping on a red signal
- 20110817 Marc Puckett’s ticket for no license plate
- 20120309 Marc Puckett’s Orange County accident case information
- 20120425 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20120703 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20140724 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20141124 Marc Puckett’s ticket for coasting out of gear
- 20141205 Marc Puckett’s ticket for speeding
- 20150529 Marc Puckett’s ticket for improper use of preferred lane
- Comments for tonight’s council meeting
- The innumerate Mr. Puckett
- Shill crazy after all these years
- Earth to Puckett!
- About those awards
- One PRR story: American Express (CC)
- 20160913 Documents link top Apple Valley official to #FlintWaterCrisis
- 20160913 Investigation: Flint / Apple Valley Connection
- 20160915 Economic Speech (Trump)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20170319 Trump EPA grants Michigan $100 million to fix Flint water system
- 20170320 Sinkhole: Effort to replace pipes to Flint homes off to slow start
- 20170806 Vehicle belonging to AV town manager involved in hit-and-run
- He’s gonna need a good lawyer
- 20170809 Apple Valley official believes Liberty could have followed him before crash
- Public trust destroyed (Carloni)
- 20170907 Hit-and-run investigation involving Marc Puckett’s Cadillac sent to DA
- 20171010 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- A question of character
- 20171206 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett charged with felony hit-and-run
- 20171206 A long wait for crash victim
- 20171117 A history of infractions
- 20171207 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett on personal leave after felony hit-and-run charge filed
- 20171214 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett pleads not guilty to felony hit-and-run charge
- 20171214 I-15 crash victim seeks $2M in damages from Apple Valley
- 20171219 Editorial: Passing the Puck (Valles)
- 20171228 Town Hall position not a factor in Puckett’s custody status, attorney says
- 20180105 Puckett forced out as Apple Valley’s Assistant Manager & Finance Director
- 20180109 Tin Cup Men (Valles)
- 20180116 Puckett’s dismissal just what the town needed (Valles)
- 20180307 Puckett deposition set for mid-April in town’s eminent domain case
- 20180425 Pre-plea report ordered in Puckett’s felony case