Support Measure V (September 19, 2016)
Our water rates in Apple Valley are lower than those from municipal water suppliers in our area, once you take into account all the hidden municipal charges. Thus there are no high prices for water, thus there are no excessive profits. Also, the CPUC has kept a lid on rate increases — that’s a big part of their job, after all. As for reducing water usage, we are in a desert, so we should already be conserving water, but the recent push to conserve came from a state mandate signed by Governor Brown. My personal opinion is that if you really love the desert, you wouldn’t want a green yard to begin with.
As for those on low- and fixed-incomes, roughly 25 percent of Liberty Utilities water users currently take advantage of rate reduction programs that would be illegal under municipal ownership of the water.
Why rent, build, or buy in Apple Valley instead of another local city? Because the cost of your rental, construction, or purchase in other cities includes thousands of dollars for water main installation, which is not the case with Liberty Utilities.
The residents of Apple Valley have already lost control of our town to the ne’er-do-wells in Town hall. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to buy something we already have isn’t going to fix that. If you think our water issues are bad now, wait until the Town takes control.
We’re supposed to have a better way of life in Apple Valley. Let’s not ruin it by becoming just like other cities. Vote no on Measure W, and yes on Measure V.
— Greg Raven is Co-Chair of Apple Valley Citizens for Government Accountability, and is concerned about quality of life issues.
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)