No on W, Yes on V (November 3, 2016)
Mayor Pro-Tem Scott Nassif’s split personality is on display again (
No on V, Yes on W, Daily Press, November 3, 2016). At the September 13, 2016 Town Council meeting, Eric Larsen of Liberty Utilities very patiently and clearly explained (again!) that charges for water and fire standby fees in Apple Valley, Hesperia, and Victorville were comparable, even though the way they are billed makes them look different. Nassif’s response at that time was that he understood completely. Yet now, he’s back on his hobbyhorse about fire standby fees, and falsely claiming that our water rates are out of control.
Nassif also complains about the amount of money needed by the CPUC to keep our public utilities in check. If these types of charges are really of concern to Nassif, he should move heaven and earth to eliminate the hundreds of thousands of dollars in
franchise fees Liberty Utilities has to pay to the Town of Apple Valley.
As for exorbitant expenditures, certainly nothing beats the fact that our town manager costs Apple Valley taxpayers twice Governor Brown’s salary, with many Town staff members making far in excess of what the average resident earns in a year. And what do we get for the tens of millions we cough up for town salaries and benefits? Certainly not local control! We get bad decision after bad decision, monitored by a finance director who has a track record so substandard it has to be seen to be believed, and a constant barrage of falsehoods from Town Hall about what they’ve done, what they’re doing, and what they have in the works for us.
A Yes vote on Measure V is only the start. We also need to vote No on Measure W, and to effect regime change at Town Hall.
— Greg Raven is Co-Chair of Apple Valley Citizens for Government Accountability, and is concerned about quality of life issues.
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)