The truth about Measure W
Measure W is a deception to trick you into surrendering your right to vote
NO on hundreds of millions in debt you would have to repay. It was put on the ballot by Town politicians to undermine Measure V, the Apple Valley Citizens Right to Vote on Debt Act, which gives residents a voice and protects their vote.
Measure W represents the kind of establishment politics that has voters on both sides of the aisle upset and distrustful of government.
A massive loophole gives politicians all the power
Measure W doesn’t change current law, which gives politicians the power to decide whether or not you get to vote. It was written by an expensive Sacramento political law firm and offers a right to vote with a massive loophole that actually takes your vote away.
Take a Closer Look at Measure W
When you read the fine print in Measure W, it’s clear the message is nothing more than restatement of current law. It’s a dishonest effort to fool voters into protecting the status quo, where government politicians, bureaucrats and private, for-profit law firms decide if they will borrow hundreds of millions of dollars and charge you expensive fees to repay bond debt.
|Requirement of Measure W||Current Law|
|Obtain voter approval to authorize the acquisition, financing or approval of projects issuing $5 million or more in public debt||ALREADY ALLOWED BY LAW (Gov. Code sec. 54380)|
|Hold a public hearing||ALREADY REQUIRED BY LAW (Gov. Code sec. 11120-11132 and sec. 54354.5)|
|Certifies the project’s revenues will cover debt payments||LAW ALREADY REQUIRES CHARGES TO COVER DEBT PAYMENTS (Gov. Code sec. 54514 and 54354(d).)|
|Prohibits use of taxpayer dollars to repay debt||ALREADY REQUIRED BY LAW (Gov. Code sec. 54384, 54420, 54428, 54430)|
|Conducts an annual independent audit||ALREADY AUTHORIZED BY LAW (Gov. Code sec. 54523)|
Measure W is Opposed by Taxpayer Watchdogs
Measure W does not provide any additional rights to voters or safeguards against wasteful government spending. That is why the Inland Empire Taxpayers Association opposes it.
So What Does Measure W Actually Do?
Measure W surrenders your right to vote on debt. Join your neighbors and vote
Paid for by Apple Valley Citizens Right to Vote on Debt: Yes on V, No on W, sponsored and funded by Liberty Utilities (ID 1387994) PO Box 1721, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)