Local water (October 10, 2016)
Rick Piercy says his family has lived in our area for 72 years, but he worries that a for-profit water company provides our water (
Transparency at Liberty Utilities, Daily Press, October 10, 2016). Really?
Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company — a for-profit company — started providing water to our area about 70 years ago. Without them, there might not even be a Town of Apple Valley. For decades, Ranchos bet its money and its future on our area before there was any certainty that our area had a future.
The Carlyle Group — another for-profit company — then took over, investing millions into our community to maintain and improve our water system.
Now, Liberty Utilities — another for-profit company — has assumed ownership, and it too is investing millions into our community to maintain and improve our water system.
Not only is this an impressive track record on its own, but it stands in stark contrast to the Town of Apple Valley’s mind-bogglingly feckless track record when it comes to maintaining anything, let alone making improvements.
Liberty Utilities has 100 percent credibility in its ability properly to operate our water system now and in the future. The Town has zero credibility. Anyone who sincerely claims that
water is the lifeblood of our communities, and that water is the
most vital of resources, has to acknowledge that Liberty Utilities is the only choice for us, along with a
yes vote on Measure V and a
no vote on Measure W.
— Greg Raven is Co-Chair of Apple Valley Citizens for Government Accountability, and is concerned about quality of life issues.
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)