Is the Town really ‘fully capable’ of running a water utility? (October 8, 2015)
In the article about Assemblyman Jay Obernolte’s (R-Hesperia) address to Victor Valley Chamber of Commerce members, you quote Mayor Pro Tem Barb Stanton as saying
the town is fully capable of maintaining the system …. (
The obvious question is,
based on what evidence?
The Town has only had two opportunities to run a water utility, and it has failed utterly in each instance. Furthermore, the Town’s on-staff
expert is retiring at the end of 2015, so even that modest claim to competency will be long gone by the time the Town manages its hostile takeover.
As if that’s not enough, the Town is currently hurtling forward with reckless abandon to install a special pipeline from the not-yet-completed waste water treatment facility at Brewster Park to the Apple Valley Golf Course, despite being told repeatedly that the agreement it signed with Ranchos in 1998 in which the Town agreed that Ranchos would be the town’s exclusive water retailer. No matter how good the Town’s waste water system is, it will be no match for the Town’ waste money system, which is running at full tilt.
— Greg Raven is Co-Chair of Apple Valley Citizens for Government Accountability, and is concerned about quality of life issues.
Files related to retail water rights and agreements
- 19890418 Ordinance 13
- 19980602 Agreement of Purchase and Sale of Jess Ranch Wastewater System and Assessment District No. 86-1 Water System Improvements
- 19980728 Amendment to Agreement of Purchase and Sale of Jess Ranch Wastewater System and Assessment District No. 86-1 Water System Improvements
- 19990603 In the Matter of the Application of Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company (U 346 W) (U 346 S) for Authority to Transfer its Sewer Division to the Town of Apple Valley
- 20100501 Ordinance 1180
- 20140711 Original letter from AVRWC attorney
- 20140909 Response from TOAV attorney
- 20140920 TOAV rebuffs AVRWC’s damage claims
- 20141006 Corrections from AVRWC attorney
- 20141008 Ordinance No. 4256
- 20150204 Letter to the TOAV (Schilling)
- 20150623 AVRWC Town council presentation (Jordan)